Tuesday, October 25, 2011

20K @80% effort



Sue and I at the 2008 Nike Women's Marathon (my first marathon)

Today's workout was 20K at 80% effort. It was a bit tough, for sure. I knew by 5K that I was working harder than on Saturday but wasn't any faster (in fact, I was a bit slower than on Saturday for the 25K). Darn. But what matters is getting out there and putting out the good effort.

The weather was decent; 48F when I started (9ishC?) and 46F when I finished - yes, a cold front is coming through and it might freeze tonight or tomorrow night. 48F is nice and warm for this time of year but it was a bit windy.

My legs felt heavy by 7.5K so I stopped for some Clif Shot Blocks and water, briefly. I was definitely working harder than on Saturday...ugh! I went on to 10K where I met my friend Sue, a talented runner (she's done the Boston Marathon), who had agreed to run with me/pace me for the last 10K. I was so glad to see her, as I was tired. She did help me to keep the pace; we stopped briefly at 15K for some more Clif Shot Blocks and also at 17.5K for a bathroom break (she needed it, but so did I as my GI system was acting up a little bit). My last 10K was about the same as the first 10K, despite how tired I was. Friends help. I wish I could train with Nyle...oh well...half a world apart.

5K splits: 30:33, 31:09 (1:01:42), 30:50 (1:32:32), 30:50 (2:03:22) for 6:10/km average and ave HR 145 (got my new HR monitor!).

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

I soooo know how you feel! I am always there with you on your work outs....maybe I need to make up a audio file for you to use on your ipod.... I can chat away about random things and encourage you too :) and you can giggle at my accent and slang again!

But you know you are doing great and we both know that you get days when it feels easy and days when it doesnt..what matters is that you keep going and finish both with a smile!