Thursday, September 24, 2009

Improvement; mental game

The foot is getting better :). Not sure if it is the orthotics, continuing improvement from the cortisone shot, or fewer miles from the taper, but it is definitely better. It is still not 100%, but it's only a little achy after a very intense day today.

I did 6.5 miles this morning in 1:07:41 for 10:24/mile on a quite hilly route. Pretty darn good. The foot only hurt a little bit - lots better than on Saturday coaching the Top of Utah marathon. I think I'll try a couple miles tomorrow as a warm-up for weight training. Saturday the TNT workout is 20 miles; I won't do that many but will probably do 12 or so, and now I'm not at all concerned about it :).

After my workout it was off to work, where I was on my feet a good deal of the day. My foot was a little tired when I got home, but doesn't feel swollen or painful. Happy me! After cooking dinner I did get to relax for a while.

***

I have quite the mental game going on for the marathon prep. On the one hand, I am pretty nervous about the race, especially given that my training has not been able to be what I've wanted the past few weeks. I'm prone to self-doubt and worried about how I will handle the competition. I'm worried that I'm not as sharp as I should be.

However, I do know I've done the best I can given my injury. I think I've done a good job of continuing to train without exacerbating it. It hasn't been easy to figure out how much I should do, but I feel like I've managed it as well as I can given the circumstances.

I have been trying to be as positive as possible. Instead of dwelling on the doubts, I am trying to think about how hard I've worked, how fast I can be, etc. I have been working to visualize the course and think through the race, devising the best strategy I can for a fast finish.

But I'm still nervous... only 10 days to go!

1 comment:

Nyle said...

no time for self doubt!! You have put in so much hard work, you know you will blitz this.

Your base fitness will always carry you through and your endurance and sound mental fitness will push you along. I can bet you will surprise yourself with how well you will go.

All of us that follow you are cheering you on each day....we all know you can do it.