Sunday, May 31, 2009

irony

got this in my e-mail after the 20-miler... my mind doesn't feel very sharp after 20, but I found it amusing that after working out for 4 hours or so that I got this e-mail today reminding me to exercise!

Exercise Keeps Your Mind Sharp

A recent study from the National Institutes of Health found that the most sedentary individuals (i.e. couch potatoes) are 2.5 times more likely to develop dementia than regular exercisers. Dementia is a condition of declining mental abilities (especially memory) that affects your personality, skills (like driving a car), and verbal abilities.

Action Sparked: Stay on a consistent exercise program throughout your lifespan. Try not to view exercise as a temporary means to and end such as weight loss. It is part of a healthy lifestyle, and while it does help you lose and maintain weight, it can ward off plenty of health problems, from heart disease to depression.

Exercise also helps your kids concentrate better in school and sets the foundation for healthy habits that will help them prevent future health problems as well.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Richardson said...

I think the problem here, is that you're exercising enough for several families (so they think they don't have to).

Hunca Munca said...

LOL at Elizabeth's comment. :-) Sometimes while I'm working out, I think of it as my "dementia prevention" program (of course, it's also osteoporosis prevention, weight control, mood booster, energy revitalizer, and sleep promoter). Seeing demented patients on a regular basis (and their poor families who are stressed out caring for them) is somewhat motivating.