Tuesday, May 05, 2009

aftermath

 After the storm, this. Michelle had a GIANT tantrum on Saturday night, beginning in the movie theater at the planetarium. I removed her from the theater and carried her kicking and screaming all the way through the Gateway Mall to our car, getting lots of sympathetic looks along the way. Once at the car, I buckled her in her seat (no easy feat) and closed the door. I didn't feel like sitting in the car w/her listening to her scream, so I leaned against the car and pulled out the only reading material I had: a catalog I'd stuffed in my purse on the way out the door when I grabbed the mail. I wanted to call Loren and let him know where I'd gone (he just knew I left the theater but didn't know that the severity of her tantrum meant I had to go back to the car) but no cell phone reception was to be had in the bowels of the parking garage :(. So, I sat and waited, outside the car, knowing it might be a while before the movie was over and Loren and Calvin figured out where we were. After about 10 minutes I decided to see if I could calm her down. I got back in the car, and nothing was working until I offered her a piece of gum if she'd stop crying. It worked!!! She LOVES gum. I gave her half a piece, which she stuck in her mouth but, oddly enough, did not chew. Within 2 minutes she was OUT and I took this picture. Hilarious!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hah. She is soooo not going to thank you for that someday Tammy. Krista still frowns when she sees a particular photo I took of her when she was nine years old. I'm betting she will use the strategy though when she is a mom someday.

They're just adorable aren't they?

Lani said...

Classic! I know what it's like.

Hunca Munca said...

Sorry about the tantrum, but the picture and the story are adorable. It is SO funny that she didn't chew the gum! Good for you for firmly removing her and putting her in the car. I bet she won't try that again soon...or maybe she will...she's at the right age. Sam is building up his tantrum severity these days too. Hang in there!