Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday tempo workout

I approached today's workout with a mixture of eagerness and dread. Eagerness, because I knew a good hard workout would feel great afterward; dread, because I still find these workouts very challenging.

Today I'd planned an 8k acceleration tempo workout. I was going to start at about 6:15/km and work up to 5:45/km by the end. However, I started off on a downhill, so I ended up going a bit faster; in the middle of the workout there was a slight uphill, so even though I was pushing, my speed didn't increase much at that point.

Here are my approximate split times (and HR): 1) 5:58 (137), 2) 5:44 (153), 3) 5:50 (156), 4) 5:48 (157), 5) 5:50 (164; start of uphill), 6) 5:58 (163; more uphill), 7) 5:54 (162), 8) 5:44 (167). Probably should have started a bit slower (but it felt good to speed at the start!) and then saved more for the end, but what the heck, it was a great workout, and I felt really good all morning. I still can't get used to how much racewalking improves my mood.

Oh, and best of all, no IT band pain :).

***

Also, yesterday I biked to weight training, lifted, and biked home. I plan to do that again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

Yeah for not IT band pain:)