Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tough track workout

Yeah, I did another track workout today. This one was MUCH more challenging that Tuesday's workout. Today I warmed up for 1600m (in a pretty fast 10:11 - started with 2:45 or so on the first lap and sped it up as I went) and then did flexibility drills. Then I started my hard workout. I did 3x2k intervals with 2-3 min rest in between. 2k is FIVE laps of the 400m track... that's a tough interval! AND I was trying to do them pretty fast - 2:18 per lap or 11:30 total for the 5 laps, which is somewhere in between my 5k and 10k pace. It was a hard workout, but I did it. I did the first one in 11:28 (2:16, 2:20, 2:15, 2:18, 2:19) and the second one in 11:30 (2:18, 2:18, 2:20, 2:18, 2:16). After the 2nd one I was pretty thrashed - my HR averaged 171 on that last 2:16 interval! My legs were definitely feeling it, too. I was wondering how I'd churn out another one, but knew I had to at least give it a shot. The first 2 laps were OK (2:18, 2:17), but on the 3rd lap I only managed 2:21, and though I tried really hard and gave it my best, the 4th was 2:22 and the 5th 2:19 for a total of 11:37 for the last 2k. It was a great workout and I have been feeling it all day - legs have been pretty heavy and stiff after any prolonged sitting.

Tomorrow I'm going to cross-train, as I did on Wednesday: bike the 2.9 miles uphill to the U, take my weight training class, and bike home again. Saturday: 3 miles with the new fall team (yay!) for Team in Training, and 18 miles with the summer team. Should be fun, and the weather is slated to be quite nice (hot, if anything!). That afternoon the Wasatch Walkers have our monthly 5k event. Not sure I'm going to be up for that... but I will at least go and time everyone and cheer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a tough workout! Great result though! Good job!

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Nice workout, Tammy! Oregon is going to be so much fun!