Thursday, April 18, 2013

3.165K fartlek

I was supposed to do a 5K fartlek today; my hip made it through 3K.

I went to the indoor track because 1) it's still cold and I didn't feel like dealing with it, and 2) I was very concerned I'd have to stop right away and ride the bike, and I'd rather not have to drive from the track to the gym if it's not necessary.

I warmed up on the indoor track for 7 laps (211m each) and threw in some little accelerations/pick-ups at the end. My hip was sore, but not nearly as bad as on Tuesday. It felt tolerable, for which I was happy. Before doing the fartlek, I rolled out the hip on the medicine ball and did some leg swings. I felt good to go.

I didn't push as hard as last week. I was being very cautious, because I wanted to make it to 5K, and I didn't want to hurt myself. Even though I didn't make it to 5K, I'm pleased that it was OK as long as it was, because initially I wasn't so sure.

Here are my times, divided by 1.055 so that they are 1km and 500m times rather than 1055m and 527.5m times. 1K fast 5:37.0, 500m medium effort 3:05.4, 500m hard 2:48.8, 500m medium 3:03.2, 500m hard 2:48.5. Total was 18:20.3 (not adjusted), which works out to 17:22.9 adjusted. It's a minute slower than last week, but at least I could do it.

Afterward, I stretched and then hopped on the bike for another 20 min or so to get some more cardio.

No comments: