Monday, December 31, 2012

slow, snowy 8K

Yesterday was a rest day, and I really needed it. I was extremely sore after Saturday's 5x1k.

***

Today, the morning started off inauspiciously. I woke up with a start and it was 6:59 am. Uh-oh!!!!! My alarm hadn't gone off (or I turned it off?). I had told Kelly to meet me at our car repair shop at 7:05 am because I needed to take my car in and we were going to walk right after that. In a hurry, I forgot my Garmin, and when I got outside it was SNOWING. Mind you, it was NOT supposed to snow this morning. And because it was 18F (-8C), it was sticking readily everywhere.

When we started walking it was a bit slippery but not too bad; my legs, however, hurt a lot. My right hip is especially sore. So we started off slowly on purpose and then sped up a little bit as I started to loosen up. By the end of my walk, my muscles did feel a bit better, believe it or not. I had Kelly look at my gait and sure enough, I am hitching my right hip again, but my knee was OK and I was able to correct it with a little help from her. It's nice to walk with someone who is an observant physical therapy student!!!

Within about 1.5-2km it started to get a LOT more slippery and soon we had about zero toe push. Oh well. So, we were very slow - her Garmin showed 53:14 for 6:39/km. I have a feeling my heart rate was pretty low, because it felt very easy. That was good, because theoretically I'm racing a half marathon in the morning. We'll see about that. I'm playing it by ear. I think there's a good shot I'll feel up to it, but I may not. It depends on how I continue to recover. I did feel better today than yesterday, and if that trend continues then I might be up to it. We'll see.

No comments: