Tuesday, January 01, 2013

New Year's Revolution Run 1/2 Marathon

The plan was to race this half marathon. It was held indoor at the Olympic Oval in Kearns, which has a very nice Mondo running track that is 442m/lap; a half marathon is just shy of 48 laps. Well, actually it was a 5-hour run and you could do as few or as many laps as you wanted to in the allotted time, but I had decided in advance to do the half and get the medal, which I did do.

The race itself was well-organized, though a bit crowded with all the runners on the track. I think they had about 350 registered, though not everyone was on the track at the same time or for the whole 5 hours. Kelly and I walked in lane 2/3 for most of the time, which did add some to the race distance, but doesn't explain just how slow I was...sigh...

I did enjoy the various T-shirts on the runners, seeing my friends who were there (Nancy, Diane, Bonnie, Sarah, Kelly, and a runner Don who did our RW clinic a while back), and walking in inside comfort (it was 21 this morning or something cold, and snowing when we arrived at the race).

The original plan was to race it; however, I couldn't. My legs were very sore again this morning, like I'd been doing squats for 3 days in a row or something. Seriously, when I started a brief warm-up, I was limping and wincing. I was bummed out that I couldn't race, but what are you going to do? So I decided to go easy with Kelly, who also couldn't race because 1) she is still recovering from a VERY bad cold, and 2) has a foot problem from rolling her ankle on a pinecone a month ago.

We were both in a lot of pain today. It was not pretty. I did loosen up after 4-5 laps and felt better for a while, but after 15K I started to hurt more. I concentrated on working on my form and I think that went pretty well. I felt smoother for a bit before I got really tired. I was able to keep the pace but my heart rate was really very high for how slowly I went today. Coach says it's because my muscles are so sore from the slippery workouts this last week. I'm sure he's right. I need a couple days off now, and I'm getting it :).

Total time: an embarrassing 2:17:24 with ave HR 153. Garmin data here. At least my lap times were consistent from beginning to end.

Sarah, me, and Kelly after the race.

No comments: