Saturday, December 15, 2012

20K in Davis

I did the Davis Bike Loop for my 20K today. My brother told me it was 12 miles, and 20K is 12.4, so that is just about perfect when you add in the slight distance from his house to the loop.

The weather here was better than at home! The temperature was the same - 34F (1C) - but at home it was snowing and looked like it was sticking, at least from people's Facebook photos. Here, it was merely foggy. I was glad to be here :). It was actually a nice day for a walk.

I was fast today. I have no idea why, other than maybe the altitude decrease from home??? I was worried that my knee was bent because I was so fast, but I was very careful about it, pretending that Kelly or some judges were looking at it. I wonder if maybe the new environment and the enjoyment of a walk in my old stomping grounds played a role in my speed as well? Who knows.

I felt great for the first 16km - truly great - and then was a bit tired for the last 4km or so. Not horribly tired or anything, but I was sore in the glutes and glad that I'd get to stop soon.

I really enjoyed traveling a new route and seeing this city again. I lived here from '93-'96 and it's nostalgic walking around and seeing what is the same (lots) and what is new (lots again!). Some of the farmland near the university is being converted to dorms, and there are lots of new houses near campus. Away from the campus, a lot is the same and looks just like it did 20 yr ago. I have pictures of the route below. It's FLAT except for a freeway overpass at 17km; the elevation here ranges from 12-18m above sea level. Hahahaha! At home it's like 1300!

Here are my 5K splits - get ready - they are fast! 29:46, 29:57, 29:31, 30:22.

Total time: 1:59:35 for 5:59/km with ave HR 142.

Garmin data here.

***

Pictures:
frost on baseball field

Davis High

orange trees!

park scene

walkway

gardens in west Davis

pumpkins in west Davis

new dorms going up for UC Davis

Our apartment when we were first married 420 Russell Park #5

bikes on campus

Shields Library

bike path on campus

neurosciences center in Research Park in south Davis

palm tree & fog - south Davis

No comments: