Tuesday, December 18, 2012

10K kickdown - PR!

Well, the extra rest day didn't hurt :). I know it wasn't ideal as I'm supposed to be training hard right now, but it really was unavoidable. And you know what? I got to walk with Kelly today, which was way better than doing it alone yesterday anyway.

It was 33F (1C) and threatening snow, and pitch dark for the whole workout (we finished about 7 am and it doesn't get light until well after that now). It got colder and started to snow later this morning after we finished, but happily it waited for us to be done.

We went by feel this morning instead of trying to hit certain times. That seemed to work out well. We started off nice and easy, and then each 2.5km went a bit harder, and the last 2.5km was pretty much as hard as we could. I know on the last 500m I was breathing pretty out-of-control. But I stayed with Kelly! We were together the whole time - she never got more than a step or 2 ahead of me and vice-versa.

Here are our splits: 15:13.8, 15:02.4, 14:45.4, 13:49.0 (!under 14 for the first time!), for a total of 58:50.6. My HR got up to 169 and I don't know about Kelly's but her breathing was really hard and we were working it hard. Her left knee looked a lot better today than it has looked; I only saw it bent once or twice. I am pretty sure my knees were good too. In the middle of the workout I wasn't sure I'd be able to do well, but then I started to feel a little better and managed to stay strong to the finish with none of the jello-legs thing I felt last week on this workout, and it showed in my times. My last five 500s (and Kelly's) were 2:46.2, 2:42.4, 2:45.3, 2:49.7, 2:45.4.

Now I'm really tired/sleepy, and my legs feel pretty trashed. Hopefully I'll be up for another hard one on Thursday.

Garmin data here.

No comments: