Saturday, December 08, 2012

20K

Today I felt a lot better and was ready to go for 20K. Turns out I wasn't wrong about my schedule - I was supposed to cross-train yesterday, and do 10K on Wednesday (where IS my brain this week?!???). So I got the schedule right, except that I couldn't really do the workouts Wednesday & Thursday because of how I felt.

Anyway, it was a pretty nice day today, at 40F (4C) and overcast, with a bit of a breeze. Later in the workout (about 15K) the wind picked up and it was quite windy, actually.

My legs finally felt recovered today, and when I started off I went pretty fast. Maybe too fast, but I did feel really good. I did the first 10K in just over 60 minutes flat (29:38, 30:27)! Then Kelly joined me for the second 10K. She is feeling better too - her foot is recovering quickly and it seems unlikely to be fractured. After the tape was loosened she felt much better, so she decided to try 10K today. However, after stopping for a couple minutes to get Kelly and throw some stuff in my car, I guess I stiffened up a little; either that or I got tired, because the next 5K was slower at 31:33. But I was able to pick up the pace on the last 5K, finishing in 30:53 for a total of 2:02:30, for 6:08/km with ave HR 150.

Yeah, I pushed it a little that last 5K and my HR got higher, but I was having a bit of fun with Kelly, who was getting tired. I would walk ahead of her a bit and tell her to catch me, and tease her that she shouldn't let the "old lady" (me) beat her, especially since I had gone 10K longer than she did! She did keep up with me and I think we had a good time. I enjoy her company a lot, even though I did give her 4 red cards today for her left knee :). She said my form looked good and that I was "a machine" today. Maybe, maybe not. My glutes were definitely tired at the end, but I was able to stay strong. I did slow down overall, but considering that I started a bit too fast, I think it was good. I'll enjoy my optional day tomorrow!

Garmin data here.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

The banter and trash talk is funny. I enjoy reading about it....smiling as I type this.

Tammy said...

Glad you enjoyed reading about it :). We enjoyed picking on each other. It passes the miles, and gives us something to push each other with.