Monday, January 10, 2011

still slow, but still out there

My 5K this morning was embarrassingly slow. OK, there was some snow on the road for part of the route (1/3 of it?) but overall the conditions were good enough to be reasonably fast, say 6:45/km. Well...I did 7:10/km. I didn't push at all, as I'm trying to just take it really easy. I have no idea why I was so slow, because I felt OK, but it's just more of the same. At this point, I've basically given up on racing for a good long time. I'm trying to just enjoy the exercise, eat right, and de-emphasize my racewalking identity. Perhaps this is all for the good - I mean, I probably have gotten too tied up in my identity as a racewalker, and it might be time to just enjoy some other things in life a bit more. One thing is for sure - right now I can't racewalk fast, so I might as well put my focus elsewhere for a while.

Garmin connect data here.

After the 5K I went to the gym and lifted weights and did some core work. Dumbbell bench press (30 lb each arm)/one-legged squats (body weight only); hamstring curls (only 40 lb - hamstrings sore)/upright row (17.5 lb each arm); leg extensions (60 lb)/lateral raises (10 lb each arm); bicep curls (15 lb each arm)/tricep extensions (12.5 lb each arm). Core: plank, wood choppers w/8 lb medicine ball, toe toucher situps w/medicine ball, raising/lowering straight legs (lower abs).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, some "general fitness" until you are ready to crank it up again. It is probably just what you need.

I am in a similar place, albeit way slower than you. :)