Sunday, January 02, 2011

6.3K better than yesterday but still slow...

Today I did 6.3K, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The first 200m hurt, as my muscles are definitely sore from yesterday (only 10K made me sore...how pathetic!). I figured I was doomed, but my first km was in 6:25 (downhill) and no km was over 7:00, even the uphill ones at the end. I felt pretty decent for most of the walk, despite the muscle soreness and the temperature. While warmer than yesterday, it was still chilly at 17F (-8.3C), but it didn't seem to bother me.

I did 6.3K in 42:17 for 6:42/km. Garmin connect data here. Edited to add: last 3 times I did this route around Liberty Park (in early December) I did 43:14, 43:06, and 43:55, so this is an improvement.

I was looking over my year-end stats from last year and realizing just how far my racewalking has sunk. Really, I was doing 10K all the time in 1:04:30 without thinking twice about it (at ave HR 140ish), and now with HR of 150 I can barely do 1:09. Ugh. I know it's probably just the illness, but it's kind of hard to stay upbeat when I can't train and my performance is so rotten every time I go out. It's made even worse by the fact that I know plenty of other racewalkers who are training very well right now. On the flip side, at least I am out there and able to exercise. It beats last year when I was injured and limited to bike, elliptical, and swimming.

***

Some amusing notes: I had a really neat pair of gloves with fingertips exposed and a wind flap to cover them (for daily life, not for RW), and thought I lost one. For several weeks I did without them. Then I found the missing one - I have a large hole in the liner of my winter coat pocket, and it slipped in there and I couldn't feel it! Duh! I was really happy to find it again, as I love those gloves.

The other day I was talking with my coach, and we discovered there was a 51C temperature discrepancy between us. In Melbourne, Australia, they were having a very hot day at 42C (108F). Here, it was -9C (15F) and snowy. I think my coach had the better end of that deal, somehow. I used to hate the heat when I was fat, but now I actually like it. Go figure.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I've lost things into a lined area due to a pocket hole.

Once, my wife kept losing keys (and back up keys) to our truck; it turns out that she had a hole in one of her purse pockets and they were all between the main compartment of the purse and the liner.