Sunday, January 23, 2011

3K fartlek

I have been feeling a bit less fatigued, so my coach wondered if I was just in a slow rhythm and needed to mix in some short speed work to get things back in gear. He is a genius...I think he was right.

I drove to the track and was going to walk there, but it was way too icy. No snow, but it had snowed yesterday, melted a bit and then refrozen overnight. It was 25F (-4C) this morning, not too cold, but cold enough to make the track icy. So I drove home and decided to do my fartlek on 800E instead.

I figured I'd be lucky to break 19:00 for a 3K fartlek (1K fast, 500m med/500 fast, 500m med/500 fast). I warmed up with a mile downhill in about 10:45, nice & easy. I did a few dynamic drills to stretch out, especially my hamstrings. Then I got going. I was SO surprised when I got to 500m in 2:51! I figured that I didn't have the stamina to keep that pace, but the 2nd 500m was 2:53 for 5:44 for the 1K! Now if I was in good shape, that might be 5:30-5:35, but I was VERY happy with 5:44 in my current condition. Amazed, even.

My recoveries were slow, not surprisingly, since my conditioning is lousy at the moment. That will only take a few months of training to fix, though, assuming I recover decently from this workout and can continue doing some speed work. And I did tire easily, with the last 500m pretty slow (though on this route it is just the slightest uphill, so that makes it harder).

Here are my times for each 500m:
2:51 fast
2:53 fast
3:20 med
2:55 fast
3:18 med
3:01 fast

Garmin connect data with heart rates, etc. here.

Oh, and total time was 18:22.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Nice.

I stayed indoors again; I walked a glacially slow 2 miles on the indoor track and a harder (but slow for you) 3 miles on the treadmill and 1 on the elliptical. I was with a friend.

My goal is to get her to
1. quit smoking
2. help her finish a half marathon.

Tammy said...

Ollie, it's great that you are trying to help your friend. I hope she is one of the few that can kick the smoking habit. I hear that is really tough. Probably tougher than losing weight and keeping it off because of the physical nicotine dependance. The half marathon part will be easier than the smoking part, I think. Wish her good luck for me and tell her I think what she is doing is awesome.

Nyle said...

Well done Tammy that was a great 3km fartlek! Plus a nice confidence boost too.

Yes quitting smoking is really tough. I tried so many times to quit but always ended back again until I met Shane (My husband) He has never smoked and so my incentive to stay off it was greater. I have been smoke free now for 10 years!