Saturday, January 29, 2011

12K - a long way to go, but a good start

I did 12K this morning in 1:19:35, for 6:38/k. That's the longest I've gone since Dec 24, and it was also definitely the fastest I've done that distance since the half marathon in November. (Right after the half marathon was when I got sick).

I was going very well through 6k, aside from a bothersome side stitch from 3-4k. Up to that point I averaged 6:30/k. However, my endurance is not at all where it will be after some training, and the last 6k was much slower. In fact, my legs got very tired around 8K and 9-12K hurt, to be quite honest. I wasn't surprised by this at all, but it does show just how far I have to go to get back in good shape again. When I'm healthy and well-trained, 12K in 1:18 is nothing, typically. But you know what? For where I am right now, after being sick for 2 months, the 12K this morning was very good. I expected it might be more like 6:45/k, so to do 6:38/k was quite nice. Admittedly, I pushed a bit and my average HR was 153 for the whole 12K. Still - I'm pleased with where I am for the moment.

I also think that I'm going to have to stay at 12K max for another week. I was thinking 15K might be on the agenda for next weekend, but I think ramping up the mileage more slowly right now might be better. Of course, this is all up to my coach as well, but if I don't think I'm up to 15K yet he probably won't have me do it. Probably we'll do some speed work and keep the distance at a similar level for now.

It's going to be a long road back - but I'm glad to finally be ON that road :).

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

Fantastic stuff Tammy. I can see your grin from here!