Friday, January 07, 2011

a bit of rest is in order...

I rested yesterday. I needed it. Sad, but true. I haven't done that much, but my body is just not up to it right now. I've been really fatigued in the afternoons again, indicating I have been pushing too hard. The rest helped, but probably not enough.

***

Today I cross-trained. I just didn't want to racewalk, because right now every time I racewalk my leg muscles get pretty sore, and that's getting old fast. I wasn't in the mood to fight the cold and the soreness, so I did the bike & elliptical for an hour, and then did some easy weight training. I say easy, because I only got in 2 sets of weights plus core; I saw a couple people at the gym that I haven't seen in a while and spent too much time chatting with them. All of the January-only types are crowding the gym, as well...sigh...it's really crowded.

***

I went to my family doc again today to try and figure things out. He thinks there probably isn't anything else going on, just residual problems from the nasty virus I had. He said it is a bit unusual for it to go on this long, but there are plenty of cases of people in really good health getting felled for months by these things, and I apparently got lucky. He did a thorough exam and history, and did uncover something else though: mild asthma. My peak flow was about 25% lower than he thought it should be, and so he prescribed some medications to help with it. He also told me to stay indoors when the pollution is bad in the winter (like it is whenever there's a high pressure system here in the winter). Right now it's pretty bad, so I guess I'm stuck with the indoor track or the treadmill until tomorrow night when a storm system is coming through to clear things out. This is not fun, but I'm actually glad to have at least one reason for my sub-par performance lately.

So, I wait...and wait some more...and give up on my plans to do the National Masters' 20K in March. I won't be ready enough to spend the money to go do it. Oh well.

No comments: