Sunday, January 30, 2011

short hilly workout

After the 12K yesterday I opted for a shorter workout today - just 5.8K, with hills though. I did the SugarHouse Park route, which I really enjoy a lot. That first hill is a killer, though. I only managed 7:20 for the first km, though the last bit coming down I did at 5:54/k!

I was sore when I started off, but it helped to walk and get the blood flowing through the affected muscles: glutes and hamstrings for the most part. After the uphill I was able to pick up the pace and do the second km in 6:07. During the second km I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while (from our walking club) and stopped to chat with her for a few minutes. It was good to see her! Like me, she has lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers, though she has just done it in the past year. I did my best to encourage her in her maintenance efforts. I almost didn't recognize her because of all the weight she has lost (about 65 lb?). And actually, that happened to me this morning as well - we visited my parents' church this morning and I ran into a guy I worked with 10 years ago, and he wasn't sure who I was until I introduced myself. That was fun!

Total time for 5.78k was 37:55, for 6:33/km with ave HR 150. Pretty good for all those hills and with the pre-fatiguing of yesterday's workout. I haven't done this route that fast in a long time.

Tomorrow I am supposed to do another 3K fartlek. That should be fun. It might snow, so I might end up doing it on the indoor track, which will make it a 3.165K fartlek :).

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: