Wednesday, August 01, 2012

15K; dietary thoughts

Last night I decided I'd really better get my butt in gear. Literally. I need to do my glute strength training and since my broken fingers incident I've been back in survival mode again and haven't done anything :(. So, at the gym while Michelle and Calvin were ice skating, I watched them from the balcony and did my glute exercises. I did 4 exercises: 1) prone on ball, cross legged, lift leg while pushing on other leg; 2) on my side on the ball bring leg back and forward to work gluteus medius and abductors; 3) forward and backward lunges; 4) one-legged getting up from chair (much easier w/my right leg...sigh...that's why I'm supposed to do these).

I also did core work: plank, russian twists with 10lb medicine ball, sit-ups on ball, and something else I don't remember now :).

***

I was a bit sore this morning but not too bad (yet). This morning's workout was 15k. It was hot; 75-77F (24-25C) and humid for here at 45% humidity. Tolerable, but definitely warm. I filled my water bottles and headed out. The first 5K (slight downhill) went great at 30:29; then I did tire a bit and oh, have I mentioned that it was warm? The next 5K was 31:38 and the last 5K (slight uphill) I managed a 31:41, which was good considering that my legs were quite tired, and oh, have I mentioned the heat?

Total: 1:33:49 for 6:15/km with ave HR 143. I drank 7 bottles = 56 oz or 1.568 liters, and still weighed 1 lb (.45kg) less than when I left, which was pretty good I think.

GI: a few cramps during the workout; when I got back home it was not pretty...

***

Dietary thoughts: So I've been trying this low FODMAP diet that a nutritionist did for one of Jim's other racewalkers, and it's supposed to help with GI distress. Plus I'm doing no dairy/lactose (as usual) and trying cutting out gluten as well. After a couple days of this I can say that it's not an easy diet to follow. I can't eat much variety. Plus it doesn't seem to be helping (yet), given today's issues. I'm going to give it some more time though. I don't seem to have many other options. Any suggestions are welcome.

Garmin data here.

No comments: