Thursday, August 09, 2012

10K kickdown - PR!!!!

It was really hot yesterday, setting a record at 103F (39.4C). So, as you might imagine, it was hot this morning too. 79F (26C) at 6am, to be precise. Thankfully, I'd chatted with Jim last night on Facebook and he told me to cut my workout from 15k kickdown to 10k kickdown. I was so grateful, especially with the temps this morning.

Oddly, though, it cooled off a bit between 6am and 6:30, when I arrived at the track. It was only 73F then but still felt warm and humid. By the time I got to 5km, it was 75F, and when I finished it was 78F (25.6C). I felt hot, for sure, but the sprinklers at the track and a slight breeze kept me from dying. That, and stopping briefly each 2k for a quick drink of water.

Despite the heat, I felt good and I did really well today. I had a moment about 6K when I wondered if my body was going to hold up - I felt like it could go either way - but then I got a second wind and felt strong to the end.

2.5K splits were 15:14, 14:57, 14:34, and 14:08! Total time 58:53. I have no idea what my heart rate was - my monitor is dead. I ordered a new one but it won't arrive until 8/18.

The high school football players were out there today (as they were on Monday) at the track, but they were mostly respectful and mostly stayed out of lane 1. Mostly...sigh...for 14-18yo boys they were pretty good.

Garmin data here.

No comments: