Tuesday, August 14, 2012

15.028km

Yes, you read the title correctly. I overslept this morning and didn't have time for my 15k before work, so after work I picked up the kids and drove to the Olympic Oval. It was 95F, so doing the 15K outside was out of the question. The Olympic Oval's 442m track is beautifully air-conditioned all year long for the speed skaters, to keep their ice nice. It's 63-65F in there, and it felt glorious. If only my workout had been as glorious...

With the kids more or less happily ensconced at a table next to the track (with books, iPods, snacks to entertain them), I walked 34 laps of the track, or 15.028km. I started off very well - the first 7.514 km was in 46:00 flat, and I felt good. Then the hammer dropped, and my legs just felt terrible. I'm not sure why, but no matter. I just was trying to finish at that point. I finished in 1:34:48 (6:18/km), for 48:48 for the last 7.514 km...ouch...my laps slowed from 2:41 at the beginning to upper 2:50s at the end. My legs had nothing today; perhaps residual from the track workout in the heat? I stopped before it got too ugly but maybe it was enough.

Regardless, I did the workout, and that's what matters. Tomorrow is cross-training, thankfully. Whew. I just feel SO tired. Work has been a bit stressful (just really really busy) and I'm sure that doesn't help a bit.

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

This was a "build mental toughness" day. :)