Wednesday, August 08, 2012

interesting statistic!

My racewalking friend and fellow Jim Leppik athlete Erin Taylor-Talcott texted me today and told me to call her, because she had good news for me. So I did. Her hubby Dave keps the RW stats for the USA, and he had been looking at the women's 50K. Turns out that my 50K race in January earned me the title of 4th fastest woman at 50K in the United States - ever! Erin, Susan Armenta, and Cheryl Rellinger have all posted faster times that me. I have the 8th fastest time; Erin owns #1,3,5, and 6, Susan owns #2 and #4, and Cheryl owns #7.

OK, I know that this is only because not many US women have done the 50K, but it's still pretty cool :) and I wanted to share!

2 comments:

Harriet said...

If you'd like, check out the results from the Chicago Ultra (a running race on the Lakeshore Path, which is either paved bike path or groomed crushed limestone paths). Your time would probably get you an AG place among the runners, never mind walkers.

I knew of one walker who walked judged 5Ks in the 25:xx range and he walked about your 50K time.

I was VERY impressed with your performance and I've been around fast walkers.

Tammy said...

Thanks Ollie - I did look up the Chicago Ultra results from March 2012 and March 2011. I would have been 4th in W40-44 in 2012 and 3rd in 2011 - against runners! I had no idea my time was that fast!

Also, for whatever reason, I seem to be more gifted at the longer distances. Therefore, my 5K times do not predict my 50K times at all. Apparently I have no fast twitch muscles :). Jim keeps telling me I'm better at the longer stuff, and he's right (he's always right...seriously!). Erin Taylor-Talcott is that way too, which is why she really wants the IAAF to add 50K for women!