Tuesday, July 31, 2012

4x2k

The heat got me today.

I was supposed to do 5x2k. It was 74F (23.3C) with 50% humidity. It FELT like more than 50% - overcast, oppressive, and threatening rain. Hot.

I warmed up for 1600m (9:20ish) with some strides and did dynamic stretching. I started off conservatively (I thought), aiming for 11:20 for each 2k. The first one was 11:17 with ave HR 157.5, and I felt good. I was hopeful. The second one started to hurt - I did 11:18 with ave HR 163, and I was feeling heavy-legged. On the third one I noticed how HOT I was, but felt in control and did 11:23 - but my HR averaged 166, and the lowest it got during the 2 min rest was 122. Usually it will be sub-110 for intervals; even toward the end it will be sub-120 for sure. Obviously I was feeling the heat. The fourth one HURT. A lot. I only managed 11:39, and I'm not sure what my ave HR was - the monitor says 181 but it looks spiky on the graph. I'd guess that it was more like 170, which is pretty high for this workout.

Toward the end of the interval I considered what was happening - my speed was tanking, my HR was escalating, and I felt lousy. Hot hot hot. I knew I *could* do one more, but at what cost? I was cooked. Done for. I didn't want to totally waste myself or I'd be no good for the workouts the rest of the week. I decided, reluctantly, that it was best to quit. I just hoped that my coach would agree I'd made the right call.

I'm concerned that I can't seem to adjust to the heat - it's not THAT hot here (low 70s is warm, sure, but not terrible for summer!), and it's been hot for a while, and I still don't seem to be handling it well. The 40K has potential to be quite hot, and it is SURE to be humid only a few blocks from the ocean. Well, I'm doing the best I can and if I don't adjust there is nothing I can do.

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

How is your hydration?

21 uresirms