Wednesday, August 29, 2012

cross-training; 3x2km w/3' rest

Yesterday I cross-trained. I rode my bike to work uphill, and then in the evening while the kids were at skating practice I did the elliptical for 45 minutes. My hip felt fine.

***

Today I had 3x2km with 3' rest (instead of the usual 2'). I like the taper...shorter speed workouts with more rest :).

Weather: Hot. 75F and overcast and 52% humidity. Not nice at all. I was really glad I only had 3x2km so I could make it through. I was very sweaty at the end, that's for sure.

I warmed up for 1600m with strides in a very fast 9:16 (!). I was sure I was legal, and I was being careful. I felt great. I did some dynamic stretching and then got going on the workout.

My hip didn't hurt at all, but it is still a bit tight (later, after the workout). I need to foam roll/tennis ball and stretch later. Got to remember.

I felt like the first one was a moderately hard effort, and I tried to keep it the same for the second but pushed very hard and then did slow a bit on the third...oops. I was really all-out on that last one. However, it is my fastest set of 2kms ever! OK, it was only three of them, and I wouldn't have been able to do 4 or 5 that fast, and I did have 3' rest, but it's still great.

Here are my times: 10:54.4, 10:51.8, 11:01.7. My HR was up to 172 at the end of the second one and 174 on the last one.

I am sure my technique was solid and that my knees were straight. I could feel it and was concentrating on it. (When I post my Portland-to-Coast pics you can see the straight knees as well; no video because my batteries were too low, sadly).

Garmin data here.

No comments: