Monday, August 06, 2012

3x2k; 4x500

Another interval FAIL today. Sigh...these workouts just have my number. I had a great attitude going in, and felt wonderful to start, but then crashed hard. Frustrating, but there was nothing I could do about it. My body just would not do this one today.

I was supposed to do 4x2K; 4x500. The weather was the usual: 73F (23C) and 50% humidity to start, and 75F (24C) when I finished. Yeah, it's warm. Good heat training for the 40K in New Jersey, where it's very possible that it will be hot enough to kill me (OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's how I'm feeling now!).

I warmed up in 9:35 for 1600m with strides, and felt good. I did some dynamic stretching and got started. I went out what felt very conservatively, but in retrospect was probably too fast? I don't know...it felt easy and comfortable for the first 2K, which I did in 11:10. The next 2K did not feel so good, and I knew then I'd be in trouble, because it also took 11:24. Uh-oh. My legs and my wind felt rotten on that one. The third 2K just felt awful. My legs were heavy and wooden and I was breathing too hard. It took 11:38 with the last 500m in 2:59. Ughhhhh. Terrible.

I knew I'd have to cut the workout short - no way another 2K was happening plus 4x500. I was SO angry that I had to do that. I felt like a failure and was so mad that this workout was kicking my butt again. Rotten intervals. But I knew I had to just do the 500s and call it a day. So I did.

The first 500 felt OK - it was nice to only go 500. But I was not fast; I did it in 2:48. The second 500 was harder but was still tolerable, in 2:48. The third 500 hurt more, and my legs just felt stumpy and awkward, but I still pulled off a 2:49. The last 500? Um, yeah...nothing left. I tried really hard, but my legs were dead and I did 2:51.

Well, it's done now.

Garmin data here.

No comments: