Wednesday, August 08, 2012

strength training; hilly 10K

Last night I did some glutes/core exercises for 30 min while the kids had figure skating lessons. I'm at least getting those in 2x/week now, which is better than none! I did 3 different glute exercises, repeating each several times. I also did 3-4 different core exercises, including plank, ball crunches, and ball passes.

***

I just had 10K easy today, so I decided to do a hilly route to help prepare for my hilly Portland-to-Coast legs in a few weeks. I think I did all right! It was 72F (22C) this morning when I left, but it was only 38% humidity. I got a bit warm, but not too bad.

The route I chose was essentially uphill for 5km then back down, and I felt good until maybe 7-8km, when my legs did get a little tired. I was faster coming down but not as much faster as I maybe should have been. Regardless, it's OK. I did 33:55 for the uphill 5K (155m uphill!) and 29:31 for the downhill 5K for a total of 1:03:26 (6:20/km).

My heart rate monitor is still wacky, but looks like it was low 150s-mid 150s uphill, and probably a bit lower on the downhill is my guess. I'm ordering a new heart rate monitor today, and I am NOT getting the crappy soft-strap model that came with this watch (Garmin Forerunner 210). I'm getting the old model w/more plastic, because it's obviously better. This is the second HRM that I've had with this watch because they replaced the first one that only lasted 3 months. Clearly a design flaw here, so I'm going back to the old style.

Garmin data here.

No comments: