Tuesday, July 03, 2012

DNF 20K :(

20K this morning was rough. Through 10K it was OK, but my legs tired by 6K and it just got harder and harder. It was ugly. I started early enough to finish in time for Michelle and I to make our 9 am dr appt, but that was assuming I had a normal speed 20K. NOT. I stopped for the restroom 2x, texted Jim once to whine, talked to him on the phone 30 min later, stopped to eat clif shot blocks at 8K and 14K, stopped to fill water bottles...and plus I was super slow. Glacially so. I was doing 6:13/km at 10.65 km but by 18K when I stopped due to time constraints (had to get to dr) it was 6:29/km. The less said about this one the better. It was my worst 20K in a long, long time. Ugh. Feeling a bit discouraged. Weight is up (154...ouch!), not eating well, tired, lousy workouts, and pesky fingers slowing my life down too much.

edited to add: warm this morning. 75-82F, not too humid at about 30%.

***

Speaking of fingers, I went to the orthopedist today and they removed my cast and gave me a splint. I had hand therapy and got some exercises to do. They hurt. Fingers are stiff and sore as all-get-out. They say that the mobility will return soon. I hope so. I'm using them to type now but it's a bit stiff and awkward. Nice to have them back for something like that though! My hand is still bruised and a bit swollen - see pics below. Reaching for the bottom line on the keyboard is good hand therapy though!

Garmin data here.






***

We are enjoying a nice staycation - week off of work. Used some extra time yesterday to pick apricots from the neighbor's tree and process them in my food mill that my mom bought me for my birthday. Awesome! It worked very well. Jam-making tomorrow!




***

Today I took Calvin bowling while Loren took Michelle to the local amusement park (Lagoon). I had to bowl left-handed but still managed an 87 for the last game! A bit below my RH average of about 125, but not too bad.

Tomorrow morning, early, Calvin and I plan to hike Grandeur Peak for a little fun and cross-training.

No comments: