Thursday, July 05, 2012

Grandeur Peak hike; 5K fartlek


Yesterday was the 4th of July, and to celebrate, Calvin and I climbed a mountain :). Grandeur Peak is one of the mountains surrounding Salt Lake City, and it's a great hike for beginners who want a view. It's pretty steep, gaining 900m (almost 3000ft) in 5km (3.1 miles) from the road at Church Fork in Millcreek Canyon.

We had a great time and the photos are here. Calvin was amazing, not complaining at all and just enjoying the insects, geckos, butterflies, and bees.

On the way down I slid going around some people on the trail and did this to my legs. Ouch. Just surface scratches incurred from getting on the wrong side of a scrub oak, but very painful later in the day to sit down! It scratched my left inner thigh and right back thigh.

Garmin data here if you want to see where the hike was.

Despite all that, a fun day of x-training. Later in the day we saw the movie Brave (2 thumbs up!) and had friends over to our house for a bbq and watching fireworks at SugarHouse Park.

***

Today I woke feeling lousy. Legs were sore and a bit stiff from the hike (glutes mainly), and I was tired from being up too late at the fireworks display. Add in the fact that it was 80F (27C) at 6:30 am and I was not a happy camper. I was supposed to do a 12K kickdown, but I got on Facebook and chatted w/Jim about it because I knew that was gonna be ugly. Jim decided that with the weather and how I was feeling that a 5K fartlek would be a much better option, because I have 30K (18.6 miles) planned for Saturday, and that is an important one to get in since I'm training for the national 40K on 9/9. I love having a responsive, caring coach who can work with you when things need adjusting.

I put on some longish spandex shorts with liberal amounts of Vaseline to coat my painful scratches. It was somewhat painful on the scratches to RW but not too awful. I could stand it for a 5K fartlek.

I warmed up for 1600m quite slowly, in about 10:09. My legs felt lousy to start but loosened up as I went. Still, this was not going to be a banner day. It was more about getting out there and giving the fast-twitch muscles something to think about. Plus it was HOT and I don't do well in heat. My fast 500s were 2:47-2:52 and recoveries 3:01-3:06. Slow but I actually don't mind. It was just hard to get it done, and today I'm pleased that I did it and did not quit. Total was 29:19 w/ave HR 159. Slow, but done.

The A/C in the car felt SO GOOD on the way home from the track. I cranked it up and basked in the coolness of it!

Garmin data here.

No comments: