Friday, July 27, 2012

cross-training, 10K, race tomorrow

Yesterday I ended up cross-training; I was still a bit sore from the race, and my coach said it would be better to do the 10K today instead. So I did the elliptical for 45 min and called it good.

***

Today I did the 10K, and it was quite warm. It was 77F (25C) when I started and 79F (26C) when I finished, and it was also humid. The weather website said it was only 40% humidity, but there is no way that was right --- it was very humid; in fact, it drizzled on me during the 10K on and off. Not enough rain to cool me off much, though. I felt good through 7 km, and then my legs felt heavy, and I took it easy through 10km. Nothing serious, just a bit of tired legs, but I didn't want to work too hard because I have a half marathon tomorrow :).

I'm doing the Timpanogos Half Marathon with my friend Sarah. It's very scenic, and has a huge downhill - almost 2000ft from start to finish. Crazy! I hope the downhill won't kill my legs, but I think it'll be OK. Sarah plans to do another 7 miles after the race to get in 20, since she is training for a marathon in September; I plan to bike with her for that last 7 miles, fingers permitting. I haven't been on a bike since breaking them, but I think I'm ready. They are still sore and I definitely do not have as much range of motion in that hand yet, and it's quite weak. I've been working on it, and there's been a big improvement, but it's going to take some time to fully rehab from this disaster. Looks like my ring finger is never going to be quite the same, but as long as I have full function I don't mind too much.

Anyway, back to today's workout - I finished the 10K in 1:02:33 for 6:15/km with ave HR 141. Good for tired legs for the last 3km, I think.

Garmin data here.

***

Other randomness: I'm thinking of growing my hair long again, to donate to Locks of Love. It looks cute short and I like it this way, but it's fun to have long hair too, and maybe it's time for a change? Opinions wanted...

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Grow the hair; you seem to enjoy the donation process.

Unknown said...

Tough Mudder Training is a structured training program that will condition you for the physical and mental tests of obstacle course racing. This comprehensive and progressive guide will build muscular strength and improve cardio, while training the race day skills essential for success in any obstacle race or mud run.

Hunca Munca said...

I vote for long hair and another donation! Good for you. Would do it if I could...