Saturday, July 21, 2012

30K

Weather: hot and hotter. 73F (22ishC?) at the start and 83F (28C) when I finished. Yup, the low last night was 73. It was also 57% humidity to start and 40% when I finished. I was sweating like mad. Lots of salt crusted all over when I finished...that shower sure felt good! I drank a lot: 140 oz or about 3.9 liters. I did lose 2.2 lb (1 kg), so I guess I should have drunk more. I think I was well-hydrated, though, as I had to stop twice to use the restroom. I do like summer, but this one has been pretty hot, even for me.

How I felt: I felt kind of stiff and out-of-sorts for the first 5-7km or so, and then I did feel better until about 12km, when my legs just got really tired. I thought I was a goner, but sometimes you do get a second wind, and I felt better around 18km. I was pleased to be able to finish today. I just didn't feel good - I felt kind of lousy, but at least it wasn't really bad. I was able to hold my pace OK after the slow third 5K, and even sped up a bit. I was slower than last week, but it was hotter, and it wasn't cloudy, so the sun was beating on me after about 15km. Anyway, I'm just glad I finished, and my time wasn't so awful considering the conditions.

5km splits: 30:56, 31:29, 31:54, 31:27, 31:11, 31:21 for 3:08:18 total. Amazingly, I negative split this even though I was feeling crummy at 13.5 km! My first 15km was 1:34:19, and my second 15km was 1:33:59! Go figure. Heart rate monitor was particularly annoying today - spiking high for no reason. However, overall it appears I was in low 140s to start and upper 150s-low 160s at the finish. Average was around 150; maybe a bit less.

Garmin data here.

***

Next week will be fun! Two races on tap: a 10K race on Pioneer Day (July 24th; unique Utah holiday), and then the Timpanogos Half Marathon on July 28th. Throw in a couple 10Ks easy, and that's my week. Nice to do the hard workouts as races with lots of people - easier that way for sure; always a runner to chase and pass :).

***

People: I saw pajama guy (he wears stripy shirts and shorts that look like PJs!), matching baseball cap and shirt guy walking his dog, my walking friend Henry, jacket-and-long-pants guy (really...even in this weather!), and ponytail guy walking his dog. I also ran into my friend Leah from the Wasatch Walkers at 26km, but paused only for a few seconds to say hi and then moved on - I just wanted to finish!

No comments: