Thursday, July 12, 2012

8K fartlek

Hot again. Not much relief in sight; though the daily highs are predicted to ease a bit from the current >100F (>38C) temps, the overnight lows are still predicted to be warm. It was 77F (25C) when I started this morning, and 82F (28C) when I finished. It's supposed to get to 104F (40C). The one saving grace was a breeze and the sprinklers at the track. The sprinklers were on the grass outside the oval, and that plus the breeze kept it a little cooler, though not much once the sun peeked over the mountains.

I warmed up well, feeling pretty good, with 9:41 for 1600m and ave HR 135. That included a couple 100m strides. Then I did my dynamic stretching and got going. I knew from the heat that it would not be fast, but what matters is that I got it done. Still, I started out well enough, with 2:45 fast 500m intervals for a while. I got to 3km in 16:58; not bad. At 4km, my legs were feeling really beat-up, though. By 5km, which I reached in a pretty reasonable time of 28:34 (hey, that's good, considering!), I was HOT. As per coach's orders, I did bring water to the track and stopped each 2km for a quick drink ~30 sec?) before continuing on. I drank 20 oz (~600ml) but this was not enough, as I still lost 1.8 pounds (~0.8kg). I'll bring 2 bottles of water next time. I pushed really hard on the 7th km and my fast interval was 2:48, but then I was wasted. My medium 500 was 3:07 and my last 500m fast was only 2:53.

Total time: 46:23 with ave HR 160 (the ave HR was lower due to the water stops, even though they were quick! Total time for the 3 stops was 1:57).

Garmin data here.

***

Because of the heat and the difficulty I've had with the workouts, my coach has had to change my schedule. I am really glad that he did, because originally I was slated to do a 12K fartlek today. I am sure I would not have been able to do it very well at all - I would have had to go MUCH slower and even then I'm not sure I would have finished it. Tomorrow I was to do 10K, but he changed it to cross-training to get me inside out of the heat - I'd swim but I can't with my hand all messed up. Swimming would be nice and cool! I'll probably just do the elliptical. Saturday I'm still going to do the planned 30km, but next week he's cut back the workouts to the minimum: just a 15K kickdown on Tues or Wed and then 30km (instead of the planned 35km) for the next Saturday. I don't like that we've had to cut things back, but it was absolutely necessary. Coach said my legs were getting "trashed" from the heat, and it's true. I feel like I did a 12K fartlek this morning, not just 8K. My legs are quite sore.

This has also made the schedule much more do-able in terms of quality of life, and I feel more balanced. It helps that I've gotten a good night's sleep for two nights now :). I ate very well yesterday and exercised good self-control. We seem to be at a turning point, I hope!

No comments: