Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Deseret News 10K - 2012 edition

I usually do this race; I like the course (downhill, through the University and downtown, ending at Liberty Park) and the fact that it goes through the Pioneer Day parade route, so there are lots of spectators cheering for the runners. Last year I did it right after getting back from World Masters, and I did a 56:31. I figured I could beat that this year. I remembered the weather not being too bad last year, but honestly, it wasn't much cooler than today. It was 71F last year and humid; this year it was 73F (23C) and humid (60%). Oh yay.

I'm in better shape than last year - at least I think I am - so I thought I'd be faster. It didn't work out that way.

I warmed up fine; my GI system was acting up a bit and I was pretty concerned about that. I knew I'd have to go out conservatively because of the heat, and I figured if worst came to worse I could just quit racing it and take it easy. Thankfully, my stomach settled and I had no trouble.

Mile splits: mile 1 8:37, mile 2 8:54 (17:31), mile 3 9:19 (26:50), [~27:45 for 5K], mile 4 9:14 (36:04), mile 5 9:16 (45:20), mile 6 (slightly uphill) 9:46 (55:06), mile 6.2 1:51 (56:57).

Surprisingly, I didn't feel totally trashed at the end. I was working really hard, and it was hot, but I felt OK. I had enough to push hard to the finish line. My average HR for the race was just 159, despite my HR monitor spiking a bit in the middle of the race. Hmmmm - maybe I should have pushed harder? That seems low, but remember that it was HOT. At least for me it was hot. (I hope it's not too hot for the 40K in New Jersey on Sept 9th...I just don't race well in heat).

So, I suppose I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't faster than last year, but oh well! Not every race can be your best, and I have been doing more distance work and less short speed work. Still, this was a fast effort and I should do better at the half marathon on Saturday, weather permitting.

Garmin data here.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Given the net downhill course, I am surprised that you could stay legal (not lift).

So you had a good workout and a fast time, even if it wasn't your fastest.

Tammy said...

Ollie - no judges so not sure I was 100% legal (no lifting). I think I was pretty good; the downhill is 2.1% which isn't too steep. I didn't feel I was having trouble with lifting, and got lots of the usual comments from runners so apparently I looked different enough (of course I did have my WW singlet on!).