Monday, May 21, 2012

eclipse

This was an amazing day - first the 15K, then the eclipse. I admit I'm a sucker for solar eclipses. I saw my first partial solar eclipse as a child in Wisconsin, using a pinhole setup, and I was hooked. The best one I have seen until today was the annular eclipse in San Diego in January 1992 - it was a total annular eclipse right at sunset and it was amazing. However, today's was better - mostly because I had $2 glasses from the planetarium that allowed direct viewing. I also put them over the lens on my point-and-shoot camera and took pictures that way. So much fun!

I was on my way home from the race when I saw the eclipse. I happened to have a flight that went through Las Vegas, and had to change planes and hang out in the airport. Vegas was closer to the path of totality than either SoCal or Salt Lake, so it was the perfect viewing spot. I enjoyed it immensely!!!!! I shared my glasses w/a lot of random people in the airport to save their eyes - a remarkable number of people were not using any sort of eye protection at all or unsuitable eye protection (sunglasses).

Here are some pictures.








Can't wait until August 21, 2017, when there is a total eclipse in Idaho! Before then I plan to get a solar filter for my SLR so that I can get really good pictures that are not blurry and have higher resolution. Hmmmm, maybe a new telephoto lens too... :)

All of the rest of the pics are on my Facebook page.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Wonderful shots! here, it was rainy and overcast.

Lantis Lani said...

Better than the annular eclipse? Hard to imagine! That was awesome!