Tuesday, May 29, 2012

cross-training

This morning was a cross-training day, as my new schedule starts tomorrow. I went to the gym and did 30 min on the elliptical, and then I did some weight training. I did some step-ups (3x12 on each leg), some sideways walking with a resistance band (3 sets each leg), and another set of exercises Jim told me about that are hard to explain. With elbows on the ball and knees on the mat, lift one leg behind you (glutes), then bring leg to the side, then back and down. I did a bunch of those on each leg; they work the core too.

Then I biked the kids to school and biked to work. Took the kids swimming after work, made dinner, and then went to our figure skating lesson. Wow...that was a workout for me today. I learned how to do lunges on figure skates. Serious glute work for sure while I tried to figure out how to balance and how to get my trailing foot to drag on the ice on the boot not on the blade. It took a while, and I sure did a lot of lunges on each side. I also got a bit of cardio, as I did a whole bunch of bunny hop jumps in a row to practice them - that got me breathing a bit!

Yeah, my glutes are going to be sore tomorrow. At least I just have 8K easy to do.

***

While I was practicing bunny hops, Loren was taking his hockey skating lesson. I didn't see it, but he took a bad fall, and he said he felt something pop in his ankle. He was in quite a bit of pain, and they got a lifeguard from the pool to come and look at it. Several people helped him get his skates off, shoes on, and walk/hop out to the car. I drove him to the urgent care, where they x-rayed it. The x-ray was negative for a fracture, though of course a radiologist will look at it tomorrow. Now he's resting with some ice and aleve, and hopefully he will feel better soon.

No comments: