Wednesday, May 02, 2012

cross-training, resting metabolic rate

I was so glad to cross-train today. My legs were very sore when I woke up - hamstrings, calves, etc. I went to the gym and did 30 min on the elliptical, and returned home to take the kids to school. Calvin has just learned to ride his bike w/o training wheels (yay!) and so we all biked to school.

I took a cue from them and biked up the hill to work for the remainder of my cross-training. It seemed to actually help my legs loosen up a bit. They are feeling better now and hopefully will be good for my track workout tomorrow morning.

***

In other news, out of curiosity, I had my resting metabolic rate tested. For work, if we do certain wellness activities we get a discount on our health insurance premium. So, not only was the test free, but it qualified me for my discount. I sort of expected my metabolic rate to be a tad on the slow side, as a side effect of the weight loss. It wasn't though - it was basically normal. Interesting. Essentially, the result is that my body burns about 1368 calories per day at rest. Add in about 400 cal for normal activities and then add in exercise, and that's about how much I can eat to maintain my weight.

No comments: