Monday, March 19, 2012

3K/2K/4x1K

Weather: 35F (2C) with a slight breeze. The track was wet from snow but not icy. My feet got wet pretty quickly though.

Warm-up: 1600m with strides. I felt a bit stiff to start; quads and calves are sore from xc skiing. But my pick-ups were nice and fast so I figured it was OK.

Workout: 3K/3 min rest/2K/2 min rest/4x1K/2 min rest each. Slow but not too bad. I felt a little stiff and sluggish at the start of each interval, and this got worse throughout the workout. The last 1km, I was very stiff and found it hard to move fast at all...my legs were just dead and I barely got under 6 min. Oops. I felt OK on most of the other intervals. I expected the slow part, given my vigorous x-training yesterday and my continuing recovery from illness (on that note - my ears had a very hard time equalizing the pressure coming down from Solitude yesterday - I'm obviously still a bit congested). Times for the intervals were 17:10.6 (ave HR 160.6), 11:33.7 (163.5), 5:45.2 (162.5), 5:49.0 (161), 5:47.1 (160.5), 5:58.0 (159.5). HR was slowing down at the end - because my legs just died, probably from the xc skiing. Oh well! It was worth it to have fun skiing. I still got this workout done, and that is what matters.

Niggles: My right IT band is bothering me quite a bit today - it started hurting during the last 1km, and all day it's been touchy going down stairs. I'm 99% sure that's from the xc skiing and that the RW exacerbated it. My quads and calves are really sore tonight. Tomorrow will be interesting...hopefully I can crank out some km despite the niggles.

Garmin data here.

No comments: