Thursday, March 22, 2012

10K kickdown

Yesterday's workout: 30 min elliptical, core work with Lisa, then biked to work (gorgeous weather).

***

Today I originally had a 12K kickdown. But in light of my recovery from illness, my coach cut it down to 10K. I wasn't going to complain about that! I also was not going to complain about the weather, which was lovely, especially since I walked later than usual, at about 8:30 am.

Backing up a day, yesterday I was up really late at work for a 36-hr time point. I was there from 10pm-11:45 pm, and so I got permission from the boss to come in late this morning. After taking the kids to school and getting ready and driving to Liberty Park, I started in on the workout. By then, it was a nice warm 43F (6C). It was sunny, and there was a slight breeze, and it was just gorgeous. Some of the trees are just barely starting to leaf out with that bright green characteristic of early spring.

I felt good but not great this morning. I started off nice and easy, doing 2.5km in 15:43.6 with ave HR of 145. The next 2.5km was faster but still not too hard; 15:23.8 with ave HR of 150. Then began the real work...15:02.2 with ave HR of 160, and I was really feeling it today. Like I said, I felt good but not great, and so the last part of this workout really hurt a lot. The final 2.5km was really good though - 14:18.3 with ave HR of 169. Yeah, my HR was really high, but I was pretty fast too. I have only done that last 2.5km faster once; 14:08.5 about 2 wk before the 50K. Total for today's workout was 60:27.9 for the 10k, my 2nd fastest.

I'm encouraged that I might be improving. Hopefully my workouts the next few days and weeks will be better as my body recovers more and I continue to train hard.

Garmin data here.

***

Oh, and after my workout, I got ready for work, ate breakfast, and then rode my bike to work :). A little extra cross-training never hurt, and the weather was SO beautiful today, sunny with a high around 70F. So very, very nice for late March! I'll take it!

No comments: