Saturday, March 17, 2012

15K

Today Jim said I should go however long I felt was good. I really wanted to do 20K; however, I knew that 15K was probably more realistic. I started off with the intention of 20K, but after 7.5K I realized that 15K was a good distance for today. I could have done the 20K, but it would not have been helpful, I don't think.

I started off feeling pretty good; it was very warm (60F, 15C) and quite windy. A storm is blowing in and it's going to rain tonight and then snow on Sunday night and Monday and Monday night. I've enjoyed our brief nice warm spring week, and yes, the snow is coming, but it won't last too long I hope, and it's typical weather for spring here to alternate warm with snow. I enjoyed wearing shorts for my walks several days this week, and I can't complain about that.

Anyway, I felt good through 5K but was very slow, coming to 5K in 32:03. My legs did get tired between 5K and 10K, and my 10K split was even slower at 32:40 (1:04:43), but then I was able to pick it up a bit for the last 5K, surprisingly. I finished the final 5K in 32:21 for a total of 1:37:05, or 6:28/km (don't know my ave HR as the monitor went crazy...time to wash the salt off...I'd guess upper 140s). For me, that is still quite slow and indicates my lack of fitness and/or recovery from illness. I know I still have 2 months until the 15K, but I'm starting to be a bit anxious about getting in shape by then. Jim says I have plenty of time, and I should trust him, but it's hard when my training is so lackluster/unpredictable. Last Saturday I did 10K in 1:01:37, and today...yeah, not so fast.

Well, I can't control it, and all I can do is get out there and do the training, so that's what I will do.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: