Thursday, March 15, 2012

10K fartlek - slow, but it's done

Today I was to do a 10K fartlek. I woke up feeling decent, health-wise. I still have a touch of a cough but the sore throat is gone and the fatigue is slight. The weather has been terrific this week - lovely spring weather that we hardly ever get here in Utah (usually it's either snowing or raining and cold in the spring!). This morning as I went to the track it was 46F (8C) with a good breeze, though not enough wind to slow me down on the track.

I was glad that I got to do this workout today, and that I felt good enough to attempt it. I knew it would be slow, and while that part was a little disheartening, I know I'm faster than I was last spring, and that once I am fully recovered and training again for a few weeks I will be faster again. It's hard to take steps backward in fitness, though.

After a brief (1200m - running late again...sigh...) warm-up with strides and some dynamic stretching, I got started. The first km was a bit slow in 5:35, and I knew then that it really would be a slower day. During the workout my legs did get pretty tired (and they were really wasted after about 8 km), but I didn't feel like death warmed over, and felt strong enough to push a little. My fast 500s were 2:50-2:55, with one 2:56, and my medium 500s were 2:59-3:10 - pretty slow. Total time was 59:38, with average HR of 161, so it's not like I was taking it easy. I guess I should just be happy that I was able to be out there and get it done. Hopefully I still have time to improve my fitness significantly before the 15K in May.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: