Monday, April 18, 2011

spinning & weight training

Today was an optional day, but since I switched and rested today I knew I'd cross-train today. It was actually much better to cross-train today than yesterday, because 1) I was pretty sore yesterday and I actually feel better today (go figure - usually the 2nd day is worse), and 2) there aren't any spinning classes at the gym on Sunday but there's a great one on Monday morning. So I went. We did some acceleration intervals - 30s on, 30s off, 30s on, 25s off, 30s on, 20s off, 30s on, 15s off, 30s on, 10s off, 30s on, 5s off, 30s on, then recovery for a few minutes. Then crank up the resistance and repeat several times. Whew. I was really sweating - it was warm in there, which is good heat training since it's certainly NOT warm outside for my RW these days. I'm glad I didn't walk today - it's POURING rain and was 48F this morning. Ugh. Not that cold, but it was really coming down.

Garmin connect data for spinning class. I like the HR trace.

***

Then I did weight training with Lisa and core work. Bench press (30 lb ea arm, dumbbells)/balance on dyna disk (L foot PT) and bounce medicine ball 25x (3 sets, 12 reps on bench press). Then lunges on dyna disk w/8lb ea arm (L foot PT but a good exercise too!)/balance on dyna disk w/L foot and military press 8 lb ea arm (this was surprisingly hard), 3 sets 12 reps each. Finally one-legged hamstring dead lifts w/40 lb in front arm (great foot PT and strength & balance training too)/lat pull-downs (70 lb, machine); 3 sets 12 reps each. Core: sit-ups on ball, then ball passes, slow crunches with a hold at the top, and this nasty exercise for obliques with a weight that we learned in Pilates.

I felt so strong today on the weights and also in spinning class. In spinning, I really noticed that my HR recoveries were very fast - surprisingly fast - I had to keep adding resistance in between sets to keep my HR up. Yay! I'm getting fitter! Finally!

No comments: