Tuesday, April 26, 2011

10K kickdown - new PR

In a hurry - late to work - so this is the Reader's Digest version.

I got a new PR on this one, but was a bit disappointed with my performance somehow. I was hoping for faster on the 3rd and 4th splits.

Weather: SUCKED! It was 35F (2C). It was deceptive...I started off in a light rain, but about 2 min into the workout it started hailing on me, then snowing, then raining, then snowing again. Windy at parts as well. Nothing like sideways snow/hail to make a 10K kickdown pleasant. But it was better than the treadmill, I think. Other than my feet getting soaked, it wasn't too uncomfortable. I was actually glad I was outside...weirdly enough! I had my rain jacket on and gloves and cap, and that worked pretty well.

I had a bit of trouble finding a good pace for each split, and wavered a bit. My 500s were kind of inconsistent, but the 2.5K splits were decent. The first one was 15:35 and was too fast by about 15 sec (I was shooting for 15:50) and the 2nd was just right at 15:22 (shooting for 15:25) but the 3rd too slow at 15:09 (shooting for 15:00) and the 4th was actually not bad at 14:34. I wanted to get at least 14:35 or less, and I did (barely). Still, would have liked to be faster.

I was hoping for faster at the end, but just had nothing left. Still, it was my fastest 10K kickdown ever, at 60:40. (Previous best was 61:29).

Garmin connect data here.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

Hmmm, you did a PB in bad weather but are still unhappy? :-)

I think that your expectations are soaring, which can be a good thing. :-)

Hunca Munca said...

Wow! A PR in the snow/rain/hail, and you hit your mark perfectly on the last split! You're speedy. You should be very happy w/this! Way to GO!

Tammy said...

To clarify - it was NOT my fastest 10K ever - just my fastest 10K kickdown. So, yes, I'm happy with that, but I guess I was thinking there should have been more there this morning. Weird. Anyway, my PR for 10K is 58:43, 2 mins faster than this morning!

Harriet said...

I knew that you meant "PB for THIS workout". :-)