Friday, April 29, 2011

3K/2K/4x500

Tough workout today, and bad weather. Those have gone together this week.

I go up REALLY early, because a friend was having a watch-the-royal-wedding-in-your-pajamas party, starting at 3 am. I'm not that into the royals, really, but I do like good music and am curious about British culture, and I couldn't resist the lure of a pajama party with tea and scones at 3 am. There was something very funny about that!

So after the bulk of the wedding was over, I got dressed in my workout clothes and headed to the track. It was raining lightly and 38F (3C). Not too nice. As I warmed up, it got worse. It started raining fairly hard, and then it was sleeting, and then on and off through the workout, the wind picked up. It was pretty ugly, though it did settle down a bit between the 2K and the 500s, so I was able to do the 500s in just a slight drizzle with some wind.

I forgot my chest strap for my heart rate monitor when packing my stuff up last night, so I have no HR data other than what I took during my rest periods the old-fashioned way (you know, fingers to the neck and counting!).

I warmed up for 1600m in 10:07, and did my dynamic flexibility drills. All felt well and I was ready to go, other than that my feet were already wet and a bit cold. I knew they'd warm up though.

I started on my 3K, and it went pretty well. I was thinking if I did 17:15 that would be about right. I did 5:40, 5:47, and 5:47 for 17:12, which I thought was good. I was a bit worried though, because I felt fairly tired after that. I wondered how I'd crank out 2K. I did have 4 min rest, but still. Not well, it turns out. I did a 5:46 and then a dismal 5:53 for 11:39. I was really disappointed with that last km, but I really had worked it hard, and I guess I was just not going to be any faster. I rested for 3 min, and then started on the 500s, hoping they would be better. They actually were good! I felt good doing them, and concentrated on keeping a faster cadence since I was switching to shorter intervals. I pulled off a 2:46, 2:45, 2:45 and a 2:43, with 2 min rest between each. I'm happy with those. I did check my heart rate before and after the last interval, and it was 104 at the end of the last rest period, and 172 at the end of the last interval, which I really worked hard to get that 2:43.

Overall, a good workout, just that one slow 1K. I have to admit that self-doubt was creeping in there big-time, but the 500s redeemed the workout for me. I guess I'm just nervous about my ability to sustain a hard pace for very long. Well, we'll find out at the national masters 15K in just 2 weeks and 2 days.

Garmin connect data here.

***

Afterward I went to the gym and did PT exercises and some core stuff. I took it pretty easy, except for a hard set of lunges on the dyna disc/lateral raises balancing on L foot on dyna disc (holding 10 lb ea arm for both), which worked my poor tired glutes and also my left foot. My foot is actually pretty sore right now, so I'm icing it and hoping it will be OK. I think it will be fine with a little rest. It felt Ok after the track workout, and I think the aggressive lunges might have made it hurt. I have x-training tomorrow so I think all will be well after a day off of racewalking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great Tammy! That is a tough workout, and I know exactly how you feel in doing something like that in not so favourable weather! Way to go!

Nyle Sunderland said...

thats a tough work out in the best of weather, let alone rain and sleet. they are good solid strong times and I am sure you will surprise yourself in two weeks.