Saturday, April 23, 2011

cross training - video bike

This morning I was to cross-train. I like spinning class because it makes me work harder than the regular stationary bike, but they stopped offering it on Saturday morning at my gym :(. So, the next best thing is the video bike. It has a TV screen with other bikers, hills, scenery, etc. and you can set a pacer to chase, which is quite motivating to me. However, this morning my legs were quite tired and the video bike totally kicked my butt. I had to set the pacer pretty low for me (145 watts) and had trouble staying with him. My heart rate was in the low 150s for the harder part of the workout, but it FELT like the 160s. I was hurting! Seriously, my HR on the bike is never as high as when I racewalk, but it FEELS harder most of the time, probably because biking inside is inherently boring. Or maybe biking is just not my thing.

Anyway, I persisted for 53 minutes and got the job done. My legs were pretty tired at the end, though - they were rubbery going down the stairs afterward. I was sweating buckets, too - it's good to train inside sometimes because it is decent prep for warmer weather.

I have 20K tomorrow, and I hope my legs are recovered a bit by then. It might hurt, though...oh well, what else is new? I need my muscles to get stronger, so I have to push them a bit.

Foot update: it's been slightly sore this week. It was good some days, and sore others. I've been managing it pretty well with ice and watching my technique, but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully it won't worsen; where it is now is totally fine, so I'm hoping the management strategy works for a while. World Masters in July, and a marathon in September are on the docket.

No comments: