Tuesday, April 12, 2011

2x2K/4x500

The weather was much more cooperative today than on Saturday. It waited to start raining until I got back from my workout! It was 42F (6C) when I went out, overcast, and no wind. Pretty nice, actually. I wore tights, a long-sleeved shirt, and gloves, but ended up removing the gloves after my warm-up. I did put them back on for the cool-down though.

I warmed up for 2K, deciding to do the same route as Saturday on 800E rather than the track. It's Tuesday, and the runners might be there, and I'd rather do long stuff on the road anyhow. After a few dynamic flexibility drills, I was off.

The first 2K felt a bit odd, at least the first 1K of it. My HR seemed low for the effort and I felt I couldn't get moving. However, it must not have been too bad, because I got to 1K about 5:4x and then finished the 2K in 11:28, 3 seconds slower than Saturday. Then I took 4' rest and did another one. The second one was hard but felt better, HR-wise, as it seemed like I was able to crank out a good effort, finishing in 11:36, 2 seconds faster than Saturday. Another 4' rest, and my HR got nice and low today! On all the rest intervals, it was below 115, and often almost down to 110. Nice!

Then it was time for the 500s. I was expecting the first 500 to feel short and easy like it did on Saturday. Wrong. It felt a bit long. However, it was fast, in 2:42. My legs were starting to feel it. After 2' rest I did the next 500 in 2:45, and by now my legs were starting to feel a bit like jello. My HR recoveries were still good, though, and I managed the last two in 2:42 (! nice!) and then even the last slighly uphill one was 2:49, which I was pleased with.

My foot felt great today - no problems. I'd been a bit concerned because it was somewhat sore yesterday, but the day off helped, and I really focused on good technique today during the workout.

I had a few GI cramps during the last couple 500s but nothing too serious until I got home, when it wasn't pretty. Sigh...this sport and my intestines do not agree with each other. Oh well, I still love the sport!

Garmin connect data here.

2 comments:

Nyle said...

Great walk!!! you must be really pleased with that one. Nice heart rate too.

Your 500m's were pretty much the same as mine...Yay!!!! Go you.

Tammy said...

Thanks, Nyle. But actually my 500s were all 3s slower than yours (which is 12s for 2K!) and in addition, you only had 1 min rest and I had 2! Also, your 3K was faster than my PR for 3K, and your 2K was faster than I've done one as well...so, while I'm happy that my 500s were good, I'd say I have a way to go to keep up with you, speed demon! All the same, I am happy with my times as they are good (for me anyway, lol!), and I'm still working to get in the best shape I can.