Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tri workout today

I did another "triathlon" today. Anything to mix it up! The gym isn't open until 10 am on Sunday, so I went in the early afternoon during Michelle's nap. Kudos to my hubby for watching the kids for me!

I started off with a 30-min swim. Warm-up for 500 yds, practicing my open turns. Then 6x50: 25 drill, 25 free. Drills were kicking drills - face down with arms overhead on odd, then with arms at side on even. Getting better with my balance in the water. I accidentally did 7x50 because I threw in an extra lap of freestyle after the 3rd drill. Oops! Finally, I did a short ladder: 50-100-150-100-50 on the 1:00. After yesterday I was curious to see if I could do it. I had about 5-10 sec rest each time, but only about 3 sec before the last 50, which I managed in about 0:57. And I was really working it - my HR was 162 at the end (about 85% max). Yeah, I'm not that good of a swimmer yet. But I am liking it more, which is an improvement. I no longer despise it. Not sure I really enjoy it, but can certainly tolerate it much better than before. I'm actually a little bummed that I'll be at the dentist on Tuesday morning instead of my normal swimming workout.

After the swim, I quickly threw on my workout clothes and did 10 min elliptical, 35 min stationary bike (video bike! yay!), and then 15 more on the elliptical. I only did it that way because only one of the two video bikes at the gym is working, and there was a guy on it. He told me he'd be done soon, and he let me know when he was off. I felt I should grab it right away or I'd lose my chance to do it. Today I did the "Wicked Workout", and set the pacer at a power of 165. It was a hard workout, with my HR averaging about 150 for the bike. I did the elliptical much easier and enjoyed the new issue of Runner's World :).

No comments: