Monday, January 18, 2010

hanging in there

I've been doing all right mentally the past few days. Ups and downs, yes, but overall OK. I am a bit surprised by this, given the circumstances, but I'll take it. I have been telling myself that I've just got to keep moving on and keep exercising, finding other things to do, because the alternative is not acceptable. I do not want to go back to the way I was! And I will be able to racewalk again someday. It just might be a while.

I've been working out a good amount. Saturday morning I did 65 min: 30 on bike, 35 on elliptical. Sunday morning I did racewalk 3.9 miles, because the gym is not open until 10 am - not acceptable!. I went around Liberty Park and managed a 10:46 pace. The foot actually felt totally fine. That's the evil thing about this - the pain is not too bad because of the cortisone shot in September, so even though I am not better, I feel pretty good. Later in the day I hit the gym with my mom and we did some time on the stationary bike - she did 30 min and I did 42 min. Only stopped because the gym was closing! I needed to make up for the Sunday brunch Loren and I enjoyed at Zermatt Resort. Oh, how I love their dessert spread. Chocoholics' heaven. But it was a planned indulgence, and as long as I work out hard and eat well the rest of the week, I should be OK. I did lose 1.6 lb last week :) but still have about 4.5 more to go to get back where I like to be for racewalking.

This morning I still felt the need to atone for the excessive chocolate consumption, so I did a "triathlon". 30 min swim, 30 min stationary bike, 30 min elliptical. The swim was my usual lately: 250 yds free, 100 yds kick, 150 yds pull, and repeated that, ending with 250 yds free. It takes me just about 30 min to do those 25 laps. Yeah, I know, I'm a slow swimmer. But it's good exercise and non-weight-bearing. The bike and the elliptical were at my usual intensity - ave HR 140. I got some more reading done on my latest Michael Connelly thriller "The Last Coyote". I'm tearing through a pile of these my parents gave me. They're light enough to read while working out and engaging enough to keep my mind occupied.

2 comments:

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Having had my share of injuries I can commiserate. Everyone tells you to be patient and it will get better, but lets face it, it just sucks.

You are handling it well though, I am glad you are still finding other ways to excercise. You should do a triathlon with me. You just did a mini one. You know you want to:) SGTRI, you should register haha.

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

You could always do a team tri and have one of your team mates do the race walk portion. If that is too depressing though, I understand.

I just recieved my own bad news. I am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday, and have just been informed that I can't train for 6 weeks. That seems like an eternity. I am trying to figure out a way around the no training thing, so I guess I haven't really accepted the news yet. Give me a couple of days for it to sink in, and I will probably call you to commiserate. Injuries sure suck, don't they.