Thursday, January 14, 2010

injury update

First, some mileage, etc.:
3rd week back from injury - only did 11.7 miles, because my foot started to hurt and so I backed off a lot.
4th week back from injury ended today; I did just 15 miles this week. My foot has been achy/crampy on and off all week. Seems worst on the exercise bike, but it does hurt when I'm on the treadmill; the elliptical (so far) doesn't bother it. All my mileage this week except Sunday's 3.9 miles was on the treadmill, because I wanted the option to stop any time if my foot hurts too much. Boring, but safer.

***

I visited the doctor on Tuesday afternoon for my foot problem. I wanted to ask her about my piriformis too, and even though I told them on the phone when I made the appointment that I had 2 questions for her, the nurse told me she would only address the foot and that I'd have to make another appt for the piriformis. Why couldn't they have told me that on the phone? It's aggravating. Never mind that it's a $30 copay each time I go in, plus my time away from work, OR having to find a sitter for the kids. Grrrr.

Anyway, she took X-rays of my foot and they are still negative. It all looks fine. So, she ordered another MRI. Oh yay. She said she really has no idea what's going on, since I have pain in a different spot than last time. My guess is that the sesamoiditis is back, but that I feel it in a different spot (referred pain) because the cortisone shot is still helping to deaden the pain in the joint. But that's only a guess. We'll find out tomorrow when I get the MRI. I'm just frustrated and I want to be better. I want to train hard for my half marathon March 20th.

***

A funny kid story. Michelle said to me tonight: "Mommy, you have a big bottom!". Um, yeah, kid, thanks. Someone needs to tell her that you never say that to a woman ;). Actually, I thought it was really funny and didn't take it wrong at all. And yes, I suppose that is my biggest part, but after losing all that weight I'm happily at a size 8, which is not that big at all. Just big compared to HER :).

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Tammy, I hate to tell you this, but your "start, stop, recurrence of pain" recovery is EXACTLY the kind of recovery I've had from every injury that I've had. Every single one! These things never recover on our timetable, but eventually they do; it is a slow-gradual "evolution", if you will. :-)

"Big bottom": yep, when Olivia was either 3 or 4, (my daughter) told Barbara "you sure have a BIG BUTT". Olivia immediately got embarrassed but Barbara got a kick out of it. In fact, she told a friend who, in turn gave her a birthday card that had a piece of toilet tissue in it. The caption: for bigger breast, rub this on your breasts. Look at what this has done for your butt!