Thursday, January 28, 2010

Morning swim

This morning, as with all Tu/Th lately, I went to the masters swimming workout. I like the coach, and despite the lanes being fairly crowded (we had 4 in our lane, and have had that many each time) it does make for a more interesting workout to have more people there.

Today there were 3 women and 1 man in our lane. The man was actually the slowest, and of the women, I was the fastest at kicking drills, but probably we were all similar speeds when it came to our freestyle. This made for some interesting times touching the toes of the person in front, or getting one's toes touched. It was fine, though.

The workout was w/u with 300 free/200 choice. I did the 300 free and then 50 breast but no one else was doing that so I switched back to free and did another 100 before time was up. Then we did 9x50 in 3 sets: 50 drill (kicking 6x on side, then rolling to other side and repeating), 50 build (acceleration from slow to fast), 50 fast. Repeat 3x. That was actually pretty hard by the time you did the last 50 fast. Then we did a ladder set, 50-100-150-200-200-150-100-50 with 1:10 per 50. Yeah, that's slow, but it worked for me OK. More rest than I would have taken alone; I did swim one 50 in 0:50, but most were about 0:55, which is a big improvement for me. I led on the 2nd 200 and 150, and on the 150 I counted wrong and did 200 by mistake, so I got in an extra 50. Finally, we did some drills to work on our open turns. I used to do flip turns 20 yrs ago when I took a swimming for fitness class in college, but I haven't done them in so long that I've just been doing open turns. Well, no one ever told me how to do them efficiently until today. I am sure I'll be much faster next time for having worked on this. I really ought to get in the pool and practice them - maybe Saturday morning? Otherwise I might forget the things she told me about how to be efficient.

I have no idea how many open turns I did, swimming about 25 yd each time (we started in the middle of the pool and swam to the end then back to the middle to practice). We did them for about 10 minutes; I probably did 15-20 turns in that time.

Total yd for today, counting 15x25 for the turn practice: 2325.

Confidence in swimming? Increasing a lot. And I actually like going to these practices, vs. swimming alone. Much better.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Nice!