Thursday, January 21, 2010

Masters swimming

I tried the masters swimming group this morning. It was way better than swimming alone. Not racewalking, true, but it was at least as good as the elliptical and bike. I guess that's not saying much, but still...it's something.

Coach Michaela (spelling?) had us warm up with 300 free/200 choice, and then we did 12x75 yds, in 4 sets of 3: 75 kick, 75 drill (the drill we did was kicking on side, then rolling to other side and repeating), 75 free. Finally, 8 x 50 yds with 25 easy and 25 fast, on the 1:20 (yeah, I was in a slow lane). I was in the slowest lane, so did fewer yds than other lanes; they all had longer and harder workouts. And yeah, i could have done more yards by myself, but this was vastly more entertaining and I got some good coaching too. It was good to chat a little with the other women in my lane. A couple of them were triathletes. One of them actually asked me if I was a swimmer! Hahahahaha! How did I fool anyone? Anyway, I ended up leading after a bit because I kept passing some of them, and that worked out well (there were 4 of us, so we were circle swimming). Maybe I should be in the next lane up, but that lane is all guys and they are definitely faster than me, so maybe not. Better to be the fastest in a slower lane, I think.

***

Work wasn't good today. It was one of those days in research where nothing worked right. That happens. You just suck it up and go on. But I am not in the best frame of mind lately, so it's hard to do that.

***

My foot hurts. It is actually hurting a bit on the ball of the foot. I am thinking that maybe the cortisone shot is finally wearing off. Ugh. I need to call my orthotist and try to get the metatarsal pads changed. They might not be in the right location, according to a guy I chatted with at the running store. I also am debating making an appt with a podiatrist while I wait to talk with the foot/ankle orthopedic guy. Can't hurt to have more input, but it does cost $ to go see someone, plus my time. I don't know if I'll do it or not.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

I worked with a masters swim team a few times. The first time I showed up they were doing 10 x 100 (meters) on 2 and I started to blow people away in my lane and so I got moved to the middle.
Then we did speed work and I started to get blown away and I was moved right back! :-)

I sure hope that your foot feels better...it will eventually.

Unknown said...

Good job on the swimming. I think I was the same way also. lol

Hope you get the foot stuff worked out.