Thursday, April 02, 2009

More details on haircut; workout update

At risk of boring you all, a little more about the haircut. The reason it was so important to me is that I had very short hair when I joined Weight Watchers in Feb 2005. I just didn't feel like it looked good long on my (then) very round face. But when I joined WW, I decided to start growing my hair out. I figured that by the time I lost the weight, it would be long. I did lose the weight, and it was long :). After a little while, I decided to donate the hair to Locks of Love, and so I had to grow it vey long, since they needed 10 inches in a ponytail (not just 10 inches long, but a 10 inch ponytail!). I get regular trims, so it took me FOUR long years to grow it out. But it was my weight-loss hair, and it really meant something to me to cut it and donate it.

And happily, when I was choosing hair styles for short hair, my hairdresser said that anything would work with my new oval face shape :). Yay! I've enjoyed the surprised looks on people's faces this week when they see my new 'do!

***
Workouts: Wed - went running for 1.5 miles in my running shoes. I was hoping that I could do 1.5 w/o pain, but no dice. The IT band pain was back after 1 mile. I switched to racewalking (still in my running shoes...weird, but do-able), and the pain was gone. Yeah. I wish I could run a little for my TNT coaching, but apparently I'm not healed enough yet to do it w/o risk. I will probably still do it, since I need to run to keep up w/our fastest summer team membe, but I will only do about 0.5 mile w/her, and only on Saturdays through May, so hopefully I won't aggravate anything too badly. Anyway, after my run/racewalk, I did a serious arm/chest/back weight training session - my legs were still sore from Monday so I gave them a rest.

Thurs - I did 5.1 miles easy (a little over 8k) around Sugar House Park 2x. It was relatively warm at 35 degrees (1.6C; still cool for this time of year by a few degrees, but warmer than it has been this week with all the snow) and it felt great to be outside. I felt fast and fluid, with great technique this morning (no, no one was watching or videotaping me, but I just felt that it was good - I'm sure my RW friends know what I mean). My time was 53:41 for about 10:32/mile. Nice!

1 comment:

luann said...

To me, there is always something very liberating about getting a drastic haircut. It's like getting rid of excess baggage. I suspect it was the same for you. I'm so proud of you, and I think it's wonderful that you gave both yourself a gift (good health) and someone else a gift (the recipient of the hair). Very cool. :)